Wednesday, March 29, 2006

"Conservative Christian" is an oxymoron…

WARNING: Followers of Pat Robertson, Jerry Fallwell, “Reverend” Fred Phelps, and their ilk should stop reading now. You will undoubtedly be offended by my sinful, evil, heretical, blasphemous assault on your “noble” agenda. By the way, why in heaven’s name are you idiots reading my blog anyway??

As for others who consider themselves “Conservative Christians”, you’re likely to be offended by this post as well. Good. Read on. You need to hear this.

I am sick and tired on the so-called “Conservative Christians” in this country copping this “holier than thou” attitude about everything, while simultaneously espousing beliefs that couldn’t be further from Christianity. Let’s get straight to the heart of the matter. Christ believed in tolerance, not intolerance. He believed in inclusion, not exclusion. He believed in mercy, not vengeance. He believed in love, not hate. And here’s a news flash: Christ was a liberal, even a radical. He certainly was NOT a conservative. Not on his worst day.

I can hear it now… The Con. Christians saying to themselves “I’m tolerant, I’m inclusive, I love my fellow man”. Yeah, right. Keep telling yourselves that. Now for those of you in this group who DO have an open mind, let me suggest this… You wanna be a good Christian? Then act like it. Walk the walk, don’t just talk the talk. Saying you are a Christian isn’t good enough. Having a “WWJD” bumper sticker doesn’t cut it. If you’re going to call yourself a Christian, how ‘bout following some of Christ’s teachings?

Regarding Gay Rights… “But the Bible says…” The Bible says a lot of things. The Bible says I can sell my children into slavery. I’m certainly not going to do that anytime soon. Jesus said: “Do unto others as you would have them do to you.” And “Whatever you do to the least of my brothers and sisters, that you do to Me.” So, would you like to be persecuted? Did you like the fact that Jesus was persecuted for what he believed? Because that is exactly what some so-called “Conservative Christians” are doing to gays and lesbians in this country. Do you honestly believe that Jesus would have had a problem with two people who love each other, sharing their lives together as partners, or this same loving couple adopting a child? Think very carefully before you answer that.

How about the death penalty? Try this one on for size: "Let he among you who is without sin, cast the first stone.” Don’t like that one? How ‘bout: “Blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy”. No? Okay, what about: “Put your sword back into its place; for all who take the sword will perish by the sword.” ‘Nuff said.

And that “love thy neighbor” thing? Well, let’s just put it this way… Dropping bombs on them isn’t exactly the best way to show it. Nope, I’m afraid being a Christian might actually require HONESTLY asking yourself: “What would Jesus Do?”

And for those rapture-righties who still think I’m full of crap, I’ve got a new bumper sticker for ya:

Conservative Christians: We’re taking the “Christ” out of Christianity.

2 Comments:

At 1:40 PM, March 30, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Right on!!

 
At 7:37 AM, March 31, 2006, Blogger Colette said...

I agree with anonymous, my dear..

Well said!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home