Friday, May 26, 2006

Where do we go from here? (Part I)

Today’s post is a bit of a divergence from my usual format. Rather than rant about current events or point out the failings of the current administration and congress from my admittedly serious left bent, I want to toss around some ideas. I’d like to focus on what we could, what we should be doing in this great nation of ours. The first subject I want to tackle is the U.S. educational system.

There is perhaps no other single issue that will more clearly define the future of our country than the quality of our educational system. And the sad truth is the current condition of our nation’s education system is abysmal. Despite the Republican’s silver bullet of “No Child Left Behind”, our schools are continuing to fail, and we remain far behind the rest of the industrialized world in the areas of math and science – perhaps the most important educational disciplines in today’s, and more importantly, tomorrow’s world.

I believe the U.S. educational system needs a complete overhaul, from the ground up. It’s more than just setting standards and trying to boost test scores. It should also be about engaging students in the educational process. Too many children in our schools remain unengaged, unenthusiastic, uninvolved. School has become a chore to our students, or even worse, just a place to pass the time. We need to make the educational process something more than just glorified childcare.

Teaching methods need to be revisited. And our nation’s educational facilities need to be modernized, or even completely rebuilt. The focus must be on interactive education, getting students active and involved in the learning process. We humans are born students of the world around us, and we are naturally inquisitive beings. Educators should take advantage of this from an early age, and seek to instill a lifetime love of learning and discovery. This should be reflected in teaching methods, materials, and facilities. Making education fun is not a new concept. It is simply a severely underused one. School should be an ongoing voyage of discovery, with students able to build on their strengths and learn to overcome their weaknesses. You want a kid to learn something? Don’t just give him the answer; teach him how to discover it for himself.

One area that seems to be “off the radar” in America’s educational system is the subject of parental involvement. Encouraging parents to take an active role in their children’s educational process is something that all educators should do. Sadly, and I speak from personal experience here, many teachers and administrators only pay lip service to the idea of involved parents. Publicly, they “encourage” parental involvement, put in reality; they just want parents to “stay out of the way”. I suppose some of this attitude comes from being defensive about having people tell them how to do their job. But I think if they gave the concept a chance, educators in this country would discover they have a valuable ally in the parents of their students. I’m sure that there are teachers and administrators out there who have figured this out, but this needs to become the rule, not the exception in our country’s educational system.

Access to higher education is still too exclusive in our country. For many students and their families, the only option available for a decent college education is going into massive debt, with the possibility of later defaulting on that debt, which benefits no one. Let’s face it; with college tuition at an all-time high, the average American family can’t easily afford to send even one child to a four-year school. It can be argued that the purpose of elementary and secondary education is to prepare a young person for life in the “real world”. I would argue that the purpose of higher education is to prepare a young person for success, and sow the seeds of the nation’s future. Why then, would this country offer anything less than a higher education to every student who desires it? Without the threat of long-term financial hardship. Without the requirement of military service. Without the need to be a star athlete. The only requirement should be a desire to learn, and evidence of academic accomplishment. This is after all, the future of our country we are talking about. Shouldn’t we, as a nation, be willing to do everything we can to make that future bright?

Critics of overhauling the education system in our country might argue that the system is fine, now that “No Child” is on the books. Let’s stay the course. Now, where have I heard that argument before? The educational system in our country is broken. It has been for a long time. Closing our collective eyes and hoping the problem will just go away will never fix things. Others might ask, “Where are we going to get the money?” My response would be, let’s get our priorities straight in this country. We waste entirely too much of the taxpayers’ money on unnecessary bureaucracies, questionable programs, and needless pet projects. You’ll never convince me that the money isn’t there, it is. It’s simply being used for the wrong things. Perhaps we waste so much money because we don’t care. More likely, it’s because we’re not as good at math as the rest of the world – and the test scores prove it.

5 Comments:

At 3:32 PM, May 26, 2006, Blogger Dr. Erich von Dalkenshield said...

I am a fully-credentialed and currently qualified classroom substitute teacher with a B.A. and M.A. in English, and a Master's Degree in Teaching English as a Foreign Language or Second Language. I get around the school systems here in Denver and the surrounding area. I've also seen those in France, Italy, Greece, and Japan. I disagree with you. Our school system is just fine. It's the society that is in full need of repair. Because we don't want to or can't fix that, we choose the schools, thinking we can do something about them. We can't. The major problem in the schools is lack of disciplined, attentive children, and this is a problem the schools will never be able to solve. It is questionable whether the parents themselves can solve it either, since many parents work two jobs and so cannot parent their kids. Also, book time has to compete with computer, dvd, sports, drug, and group and sex time. Which time do you think is going to be left out?

Get on the ball, will you, and stop thinking the schools can fix these problems? What is needed is an agreement on parenting time, parenting skills, and the value of an education (to the people of the United States). Stop wasting money on Star Wars and Iraq Wars and Drug Wars and spend it on teaching parents how to parent and on providing them with the means and money to do so.

 
At 5:10 PM, May 28, 2006, Blogger Marlipern said...

Erich,

I'm glad to hear that the schools that you have been exposed to have all been running like well-oiled machines. But I would contend, as would, I'm betting the majority of the parents AND teachers out there, that our educational system is severely dysfunctional.

"The major problem in the schools is lack of disciplined, attentive children". Blame the children?? I can't believe that came out of the mouth of an educator.

Now I will concede that the parenting skills in this country leave much to be desired, and you're right, better parenting would likely make for better students.

However, my wife and I are good, attentive parents. We value education (otherwise, why would I have posted this). We stress a work ethic to our children. And many of the parents at the schools that we send our kids to have a similar mind set. And yet the schools still have major problems.

Yes, there are bad parents out there. But bad parenting is not a new phenomenon; there have always been bad parents. And certainly, there have always been bad students.

Time was, teachers dealt with the discipline problems when appropriate, and focused on teaching. They did so without giving up on the children, without saying, "Johnny is the reason Johnny can't read." Today, the attitude in this country (and not just in education), is, blame it on the other guy, it's not my fault. We have turned shirking responsibility into an artform.

I agree that money spent on the weaponizing of space, oil wars, and drug wars is wasted money. Our government hasn't a clue as to priorities, and as a rule, neither do we. That needs to change.

I am most certainly willing to do my part and prepare my children for their educational careers. I will encourage them, support them, and help them in any way I can. I am willing to take my responsibilities seriously, and not blame anyone else for my failings. Now I ask you, are YOU willing to do the same?

 
At 3:30 AM, May 29, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Marlipern,

I am a father of four. My experience with parenting and public schools has been similar to yours and I agree with you and Dalkenshield here. The poor showing by American students is a result of poor discipline of children, and that this indiscipline is a direct reflection of the society we now live in. By society I mean us, the parents. If we continue to blame the government for our problems, what does this say to our children? : “You are not responsible for your actions”. If we do not daily express the need for education and show our children the merit of education by constantly educating ourselves, what does this say? : Do as I say, not as I do. If we do not put the welfare of our children above our own, what does this say? : "My career is more important that you".

However, I think the public school system is broken, not the physical infrastructure as you contend but the human. The current curriculum being taught is a travesty. Revisionist history for the sake of inclusiveness is a classic example. Why can we not objectively look at the history of our county, the good and the bad, and examine it? I love this country but we have made grievous errors; and great strides. Who, not who would we like them to be, but who, made our country? What were their beliefs, not what we would like their beliefs to have been, and how did those beliefs effect their decision making process?

We decided to enroll our children in private school at the cost of consumer pleasures. We reward our children for academic excellence. They are our future, and they are worth it. My wife stays at home with our children; she has done this for 11 years now even though her earning potential as a registered nurse is greater than mine. We do not have a flat screen TV or cable TV for that matter.

I will not hand the responsibility for raising the children I am responsible for bringing into this world over to anyone so I can have a new car.

Our oldest is in college now, and on this you are on point a bit closer. My wife has taken on the task of researching financial aid solutions in order to prevent the debt issues for our daughter upon graduation. This is more time consuming than it should be, but again, it is our responsibility, as she is our child.

Nice job Marlipern. Debate now, fight later.

Derrick

 
At 10:23 AM, May 31, 2006, Blogger Colette said...

My dearest brother Marlipern,

While I agree with you that our educational system is in shambles and is in need of some serious repair. I feel very strongly that the problem lies with the parents and with society more than the schools. For it is parents and society that decide to vote down levys to fund programs to make schools better. And it is parents and society that seem to think it's OK for the schools, for the internet and for TV to 'babysit' our children.

Now, I am not saying there aren't bad teachers, there are we all know that - but I find most teachers go into teaching not for the love of money (cause let's face it we don't pay teachers nearly what they are worth, considering the lives we entrust to their care), they go into it because they have a gift.

Now because I truly know you, your wife and your children I KNOW what you value, but sadly my dear, I find you and your lovely family are an exception to what I see everyday just as an average parent.

I find that a lot of children are left to their own devices - otherwise why would Dateline NBC have sudddently turned into 'To Catch a Predator'? - why would we all be freaking out about MySpace.com etc if the children that we have in our care - who are suppose to be studying etc - are doing this - do you blame the schools for that too? I am sorry this is the parents fault.

Children NEED more discipline, they need balance, they need boundaries and unfortunatley most parents don't know how do to any of what I just listed.

Schools are what *WE* make them - they are a direct extension of what happens within a society. If you have a community that needs a school levy passed yet the inhabitants of that community refuse to pass the levy for books, repairs, new programs or to keep existing ones running, how can you blame the schools for that?

You and I grew up in a family where our mom and dad valued education, they wanted us to be bright, well-read, articulate and a lot of other things, I have problems DATING because I can't find anyone who wants to participate in intelligent discourse - because people are actually intimidated by *MY* intelligence (go figure) - what the hell does that say about our society? I think it's rather sad. And I DON'T blame the schools for that - I blame the people for that.

Further, the responsiblity, ultimately, of ones education also rests squarely on the shoulders of that person/child as well. Let's face it, some kids want to learn, they are knowledge magnets, some kids would rather be daydreaming -and you can lead a horse to water...etc. You saw what I went through with my two children. I used ot hear complaints about how the TEACHERS could not TEACH because of the disruptions - but you have parents saying things like 'Not MY Susie, not MY Joey' - BULLSHIT! Unfortunately I could not put them in private schools...or I would have.

I think you will find that most teachers want better schools but they are dependent upon us as parents and as a society to help them achieve the best - and the ONLY way to do that is to stop and look at our priorities and I am telling you from what I see of the daily parade of idiots our here in the workforce, being educated, well-read, socially concious isn't at the top of that list by any means.

Like you I am frustrated, keep in mind I believe with all my heart you and your wife are doing the best job you can, your children are bright and wonderful and they will continue to be so,no matter what school system they land in - but again you are the exception NOT the standard.

If people would just learn to look past the end of their noses (or perhaps to the end of their lives), they would perhaps realise the true value of having an educated populace - but I fear most people are struggling just to make ends meet, or busy planning their next coup at the office, or their next cocktail party, or their next visit to Disney Land to care too much about sitting down quietly with their children and reading A.A. Milne, or working on fractions, or discovering the stars through a telescope...therefore the stars and indeed the entire universe remain out of our childrens reach.

We like to all pretend that the government cares - but the truth is that they don't - don't get me started - in some ways I think they have a vested interest in the 'dumbing down of America' - but that's a whole other rant.

Thanks for posting this - thanks for being related to me (LOL although I know you and I didn't make that choice...hmmm mystically/cosmically perhaps we did ^_^) - I wouldn't have wanted it any other way.

Love,
C -

 
At 12:11 PM, May 31, 2006, Blogger Marlipern said...

My Dear Sister,

I agree wholeheartedly that communities should support their schools, and that parents MUST assume ultimate responsibility for the care of their children, including their education. However, there is a bigger picture here. In a civil society, it is the responsibility of government to provide the necessary services to ensure the protection and welfare of their citizens. And I would argue that those services should be of the highest quality possible, given the resources at hand.

And our government does apply that logic to one particular area, often to the detriment of all else – national defense. Now, I certainly don’t advocate giving up on our military. But when was the last time the army needed to pass a local levy to fund a new weapons system? My point is that the education of our children should be just as high a priority. A strong military may prevent invasion from without, but a poorly educated populace leads to societal erosion from within. In the end, the rest of the world won’t need to bother overthrowing our nation as the leader of the free world. Culturally, economically, and technologically, we will have done that to ourselves.

I’m not blaming educators for the failure of our system, though there ARE some bad apples out there who contribute to the problems. And I’m not going to put the entire blame on the parents, although they carry a heavy portion of the blame, through ignorance, irresponsibility, and indifference. The entire system is broken, and we need to fix it. This is our nation’s future we’re talking about. To put it in terms the right-wing chicken hawks would understand, it IS a matter of national security.

Our federal government spent 3% of the 2005 federal budget on K-12 education. The 2011 budget projects that figure at 1.9%. As far as I’m concerned, we’re going in the wrong direction. We should be spending MORE money on our educational system, not less. To put things in perspective, we spent 19.2% of the 2005 federal budget on defense. The 2011 budget projects that figure at 15.5%. Sounds good right? Well the reduction in military spending over that period is 19%, the reduction in educational spending over the same period? 36%.

Now, I’m more than willing to give up a couple of stealth bombers to benefit our nation’s future, but hey, that’s just me. Bottom line, priorities are the issue here. Priorities of parents, communities, and our elected officials. We can sit by and accept the status quo, and hope that parenting improves enough in our country to offset the REAL problems that exist in our educational system. Or, we can be proactive, and bring the issue to the forefront of our national political discussion, where it belongs. I choose the latter.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home