Friday, March 03, 2006

A teacher trying to brainwash his class? Nope, just smoke and mirrors.

The right wing talking heads are really chattering about this one. Apparently, a teacher in Colorado had the audacity to express an opinion critical of the Bush administration. Now, I don't agree with what he did, but more on that later.

The real story here is that the conservative base is trying to make a huge story about this. Never mind that the administration botched the response to Katrina. Never mind that our government is illegally wiretapping Americans, and has twisted arms to make sure Congress doesn't do anything about it. Never mind that corruption seems to be rampant in the Republican party, based on the likes of Jack Abramoff, "Duke" Cunningham, Tom Delay, Bob Taft, Bob Ney, I could go on and on. Never mind that we went to war on false pretenses and justified it with intelligence information that the CIA, FBI, and other foreign intelligence agencies considered questionable at best.

No. We have to talk about what a teacher in Colorado said to his Geography class, because a student recorded the class, and ran off to a right wing radio talk show with it to show off his trophy. Incidently, 150 students walked out of that school yesterday because the school suspended the teacher. But this is supposed to be the big story. The only part of this story that is REALLY important is the fact that the teacher's first amendment rights may have been violated.

Former CIA director George Tenet flubs the intelligence on Iraq and George Bush pins a medal on him. Bill Clinton get a blow job and gets impeached. Well, I guess if we use right wing logic, this teacher should be taken out and shot.

Now, regarding what the teacher did...

Well, I'm going to probably get some flak from my liberal brethren on this, but I don't think what the teacher did was appropriate.

Not because of what he said, because I agree with most of what he had to say.

Not because he expressed an opinion, because I feel he has every right to, as do all his students.

My main beef with this is that it was in the context of a Geography class, not a history, poli-sci, or philosophy class. In the context in which it was presented, I feel it was inappropriate.

Now I haven't heard all of the tape, so I don't know how much of this was "discussion" and how much of it was "lecture". However, he was teaching a Geography class, with, in effect, a captive audience, and he decided to deliver an op-ed piece on the State of the Union address. I simply don't think it belongs there.

But that's just my opinion. Class dismissed.

3 Comments:

At 10:26 AM, March 03, 2006, Blogger Marlipern said...

You're right. As a matter of fact, our nation was founded under the premise that government could not justly rule under threat and fear, but must serve the people, and be an instrument for the betterment and the welfare of the people.

Are we in a fascist state yet? I keep asking myself that.

Thanks for reading the blog.

 
At 12:51 PM, March 03, 2006, Blogger Colette said...

I agree with ~dev - and you can check out my take on this....on my blog (not a plug for my blog in any way *smile*)

I DID hear the tape and what the teacher said I totally agree with - my problem was that he was absolutlely NOT brianwashing those kids - he was tyring to engage them - and for that he's been suspended???? WTF??? I don't know about you guys but I used to live for teachers like that; those who would challenge us and make us think and BE RADICAL - and now that's a crime??? And yes now we have to be worried about being turned in by our students, family members, co-workers?? If that's not Nazi Germany I don't know what is....(I will also liken it to McCarthy-ism)...

I will go down fighting to my death to protect free speech if that's what it takes...and it may very well be the case....

How very sad...what sad times we live in....

 
At 6:48 PM, March 07, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If they allow us to continue to be free thinkers, then as they continue to molest the constitution to reflect their beliefs in a way that will keep us under their thumbs, then they will fail.

So this administration and the republican party has a vested interest in making sure that social commentary reflects the values that they are dictating.

Are we in a Fascist state? If the numbers are there, then there is no denying it.

Sad isn't it?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home